Hair problems are no joke. Whether you have been noticing more flyaways or your hair is brittle, it's important to know what oils to use to fix the problem. Here are some of my favorite essential oils for hair and how they work!
1) Lavender: This oil has a calming effect on the scalp and can balance out any excess sebum production that may be clogging up your pores. I like using lavender when my scalp feels irritated from product buildup after blow-drying or straightening my hair too often.
2) Cedarwood: If you're dealing with dry, tangled locks, cedarwood can break those knots down without making them feel greasy like other products might do. Just make sure to shake the bottle well before application to blend the oil with the base.
3) Mandarin: Excellent for all hair types, mandarin is great if you have a dry scalp and hair that comes out easily in your brush or while washing because of damage. This oil adds moisture without making your hair look greasy.
4) Rosemary: If you're noticing more flyaways in your hair, rosemary oil is a great solution. My mom and I both have "frizzy" hair since we're Italian and the amount of damage we've done to our locks is unbelievable at this point! So when one day my mom found an oil that worked for her, however, she had to tell me about it. This oil is great if you're trying to add a little bit of shine and de-frizz your hair! The trick here is to never use too much so that the oil weighs down your locks, otherwise it's bad news bears.
5) Peppermint: I love peppermint oils for my scalp because they stimulate growth in my hair. This is great if you're trying to grow your hair out and want it to be longer and stronger. Peppermint oils can also help people with thinning or shedding strands of hair as well!
6) Rose: I've used rose oil a few times in the past when my ends were super dry from dyeing them too much. It adds a lot of moisture to your hair but also protects it from the heat of blow-dryers, flat irons, and curling wands.
7) Ylang Ylang: This oil is great for dry or damaged hair because it hydrates the strands while lightening up any excess buildup you might have in your hair from styling products. Tip: Oils are best used at night, otherwise you'll be reminded of the scent all day long! Just apply after your shower and leave on overnight as you sleep away those problems!
Bonus Oil: Castor Oil I know there's been a lot of controversy about using castor oil in hair but I've tried it out anyway and I've noticed that my hair is lighter, healthier, and less frizzy than before. Overall, castor oil has similar properties as rose oil and can help with growth. Although this one is more for your roots rather than the rest of your hair like rose oil is!
Do you have a favorite essential oil for hair?
Let me know in the comments!